A One-Name Study
for the BARNUM/BARNHAM Surname
Notes for Glenn Donald NELSON
Glenn began delivering milk on Saturdays and during the summer months, beginning in about 1942 and continued this part time job for approximately 4 years. Rutherford's Dairy was located on Cockburn Street, Campbellford. This business was operated by Walter Rutherford and subsequently his son, Wally. The dairy opened in 1927 and continued until 1965 when it was sold to Anderson's Dairy. Delivering milk door-to-door was done using a horse-drawn milk wagon. During the winter the horse, "Little Joe" and a cutter were used to deliver the milk.
On July 10, 1943, Glenn was awarded the High School Entrance Certificate having complied with the requirements for admission to a Collegiate Institute, High School, Continuation School or Vocational School. On July 4, 1945, he was awarded the Intermediate Certificate as a pupil of Campbellford High School who had completed satisfactorily the prescribed courses of study in Grades 9 and 10 in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education for Ontario. At that time the General Course of Grade 10 had been selected.
While Glenn was attending Campbellford High School, his uncle Harry Terrell from Winnipeg came to visit the family. That visit was a pivotal point in Glenn's life because his uncle introduced him to the craft of leather carving. Glenn's uncle was a saddlemaker and shipped most of his saddles west. He had some leather work with him to show the 16-year-old when he came east to visit. Glenn always liked working with his hands and took to leatherwork right away. His first big project was to produce leather music pouches for the members of the high school band to carry their music in. He maintained his interest in the craft through the years, having worked at it in earnest for more than 30 years. He always preferred to work with leather from England and Australia. These hides were "bark" tanned in the old fashioned way.
In 1952 Glenn began a 32 year career with General Motors of Canada Ltd. in Oshawa, Ontario. After working many years in the truck plant on the line, next in the Parts and Service Department, participating in numerous strikes, on November 15, 1968 he was promoted to Foremen for the Parts Warehouse, being assigned "Placing" in the East End of the warehouse, along with Cecil Pinsent. On June 16, 1969, General Motors of Canada Limited awarded him the certificate of recognition of successful completion of Developing Supervisory Leadership Skills.
Baptism: March 31, 1929, By Rev. Robert C. Tait, Saint John's United Church, Campbellford, Ontario. Burial: June 01, 1999, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Campbellford, Ontario. Cause of Death: Heart Failure. Cremation: Elmwood Crematorium, Corbyville. Military service: July 22, 1940, Served in the Canadian Army - Reserve Personnel, Midland Regiment # C453433, discharge April 20, 1948. Occupation: Employed August 18, 1952 General Motors retired February 1984. Officiating at Funeral: Reverend Earl Taft. Social Insurance Number: 414029066. Will: December 09, 1988, Campbellford, Ontario.
He died at home; 152 First Street, Campbellford, Ontario.
He was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
A Research Guide to the Genealogy of the
Barnum/Barnam/Barnham Family Worldwide
- Family History Photos
©1998-2011. The format of this website and all original
statements and narrative included on it are copyrighted and all rights are
reserved. Factual information may be freely quoted for use in private
genealogical research when accompanied by a full source citation, including the
date of acquisition. Click here to view the format
of a citation for an Internet resource. The publication of large extracts from
this site in any form requires prior written consent.
BACK TO TOP