A One-Name Study
for the BARNUM/BARNHAM Surname
Notes for Thomas HALL
He was the rector of Screveton, Church, Nottinghamshire.
The Screveton Church, which is dedicated to Saint Wilfrid, is interesting from the variety of its styles of architecture. It consists of a nave, with north and south aisles, south porch, western tower, and chancel, on each side of which was formerly a chapel. There are evidences of an earlier Church on the same site, the principal being the respond at the east end of the south arcade of the nave, and the beautiful Norman (transition) Font, dating about 1170, pointing to a Church of some importance as early as the middle of the 12th century. As regards the present one, the chancel was built probably soon after A.D. 1200, but was much altered at some distant period, when the eastern wall was rebuilt, the chapels removed, and the arches of communication built up. The north aisle was built next-about the middle of the thirteenth century-and has some sixteenth century insertions at the east and west ends. Early in the fourteenth century the arcades of the nave were rebuilt, and the south aisle, if not at the same time, soon after, and later on the east window of this aisle was inserted. Between the latter and the adjoining window of the south aible, a piscine was recently discovered, in perfect preservation. The tower was the last addition, late in the sixteenth century.
Remains of some of the original fittings exist, e.g., a chancel stall end-after which those recently erected have been modelled- and a beautifully-carved "miserere," which has been introduced as the seat of the priest's stall on the north side. There is, too, a good specimen of the parish chest, probably three hundred years old, of somewhat unusual length. There are in the church several slabs to the Thoroton family, one of them dating back to 1751. In the south-east corner is an incised effigy, which the villagers have defaced by adding their names. In the tower (formerly in the chancel) is a large monument in the Renaissance style, consisting of an altar tomb, surmounted by the recumbent effigy of a gentleman in a complete suit of plate armour, with head resting upon helmet bearing the crest of the Whalley family-a whale's head erased-and having a whale at his feet. Along the edge of the slab sustaining the effigy, the following inscription is carved in relief:-
“Here lyeth Richard Whallaye, esquire, who lived at the age of 84 years, and e'ded this life the 23 of Nove'ber, 1583.”
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
A Research Guide to the Genealogy of the
Barnum/Barnam/Barnham Family Worldwide
- Family History Photos
©1998-2011. The format of this website and all original
statements and narrative included on it are copyrighted and all rights are
reserved. Factual information may be freely quoted for use in private
genealogical research when accompanied by a full source citation, including the
date of acquisition. Click here to view the format
of a citation for an Internet resource. The publication of large extracts from
this site in any form requires prior written consent.
BACK TO TOP