A One-Name Study
for the BARNUM/BARNHAM Surname
Notes for Richard CHILDE
The area around Northwick may have been settled since the Bronze Age, and there is firm evidence of Iron Age and Romano-British settlements. The area is essentially marshy, and often inundated, and habitation was necessarily sparse.
By the early 17th century improvements to drainage and sea defense systems finally created the landscape that exists today. Previously extensive marshland was a barrier to the creation of large settlements.
The Cartularium Saxonicum
, published 955 AD, lists Northwick as Norowican
. The Saxon meaning Wic is 'a place' or 'dairy farm'. In the Cartularium
it is listed as Hreodwican
; in the Domesday Book
; and in the Close Rolls of 1230
. Literally a place of redes (reeds).
Tradition tells of a Church of Saint George, built at Northwick at the end of the 11th century. In 1370 it is recorded that the Northwick church was in ruins. It was re-dedicated to Saint Thomas in the 15th century and tithes were paid to the Lord of the Manor of Henbury in the 16th century. Some local farmhouses have a long history, and the Kings Arms, a former coach house, dates from around 1641.
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
A Research Guide to the Genealogy of the
Barnum/Barnam/Barnham Family Worldwide
- Family History Photos
©1998-2011. The format of this website and all original
statements and narrative included on it are copyrighted and all rights are
reserved. Factual information may be freely quoted for use in private
genealogical research when accompanied by a full source citation, including the
date of acquisition. Click here to view the format
of a citation for an Internet resource. The publication of large extracts from
this site in any form requires prior written consent.
BACK TO TOP