A Genealogy of the Barnum, Barnam and Barnham Family

Family Header

A One-Name Study for the BARNUM/BARNHAM Surname

Notes for Amzi ROGERS

He was the son of Reverend Medad Rogers of New Fairfield, Connecticut, who was a native of Branford, Connecticut. His grandfather was Josiah Rogers, Jr. of New Branford and his great-grandfather was Josiah Rogers, Sr., also of Branford. His great-great grandfather was Noah Rogers, who came from Huntington, Long Island to Branford. His great-great-
great-grandparents, Ann and William Rogers, were among the first settlers in Jamaica, Long Island (1644). Afterwards, they removed to Southampton, Long Island, and then were among the first settlers of Huntington, Long Island (1655). William died in that place in 1656, and his widow Ann in 1669.

Amzi was a well-known school teacher. He took a great interest in, and was active in, the state militia. He served in the War of 1812. He was also active in the New Fairfield Congregational Church and in town affairs. Amzi and his wife Betsey (Barnum) had seven children: David, b. 1815; Samuel Towner, b. 1820; Theodore, b. 1822; Ann Elizabeth, b. 1826; Emily Louisa, b. 1831; Harriet, b. 1837 and Rachel, b. 1840. On March 24, 1841, Amzi was listed as a patron of the Danbury Academy and Female Seminary. That same year, he sold land to David Rogers. In 1861, he sold land to Sarah Rogers and in 1866 he sold land with a sawmill and pond to George Whitlock for $300. On May 19, 1880, the Danbury newspaper ran a short article stating that "Col. Amzi Rogers, 86 years old, is failing fast, he is now being confined to his bed." Two days later, Amzi died, and within a week his wife Betsey also passed away. Their death certificates list the cause of death as "old age."
Amzi Rogers has two gravestones. The first (original) reads: Col. Amzi Rogers, born Dec. 17, 1793, died May 21, 1880, Father. The second is a War of 1812 marker, erected in 1932.

The New Fairfield or Town Center Cemetery is the oldest existing cemetery in the town of New Fairfield. It is located on the east side of Brush Hill Road (Route 39) across from the Town Hall and the former location of the Congregational Church.


A Research Guide to the Genealogy of the Barnum/Barnam/Barnham Family Worldwide




Click Here to AOpen AncientFaces.com

AncientFaces - Family History Photos

1998-2011. The format of this website and all original statements and narrative included on it are copyrighted and all rights are reserved. Factual information may be freely quoted for use in private genealogical research when accompanied by a full source citation, including the date of acquisition. Click here to view the format of a citation for an Internet resource. The publication of large extracts from this site in any form requires prior written consent.


Page built by Gedpage Version 2.21 ©2009 on 27 June 2019